Job Search Tips

What to Do at Work if Your Pregnancy Ends in a Miscarriage

South Africa's administrators care very much about your health and wellness during pregnancy. Therefore, you can use the legislation in the Employment Act 75 of 1977 that will help you recover if you lose your child due to miscarriage or stillbirth in the third trimester. The government recognizes the need for parents to grieve and heal themselves during this time. The following are some steps you should take if you lose your child in a miscarriage or stillbirth situation:

Contact Your Employer

The first thing you need to do is contact your employer to report your loss. Your employer will have a process that it will want you to go through to receive your time off. The legislation provides for six weeks of maternity leave after the loss of a child. Once your employer is aware of and approves your leave, you can feel confident about taking your time off.

Get Plenty of Rest

The most important thing to remember when you're recovering from any loss is to get plenty of rest. You'll need to allow your body time to heal, and you will need time to resolve your emotions. Don't take on too many tasks as that may cause you additional stress.

Spend Time With Your Loved One

Take this time to spend with your loved one so that the two of you can comfort and support each other. The loss of an unborn child is as traumatic as any other loss of a loved one. You deserve the time to recover your mind, body, and soul so that you can heal and return to your place of employment.

Now you know that you have some recourse if you are unable to complete your pregnancy. You're entitled to take some time for yourself to deal with the loss of a child. Take the steps mentioned above right away, and feel free to take your precious time.

July 16, 2021 | Jobicorn